Since our founding in 1930, TBI has enriched the lives of our congregants through prayer, study and celebration. We are a community of meaning, dedicated to providing our members and friends with relevant and accessible pathways to Jewish engagement, through spiritual enrichment, learning, and community. We are guided by principles of egalitarianism and respect for others. We welcome your membership and affiliation.Our goal? To make it possible for everyone to join and be part of this community!
TBI memberships help to make the work of our dynamic community possible.
To become a member of TBI, please complete our online Membership Form. Information about the different categories of membership and affiliation can also be found below. Fee subsidies are available for those experiencing financial hardship, and we also offer discounts to families from the King David School.
For more information about any aspect of TBI membership, please contact us.
Age 16-24: FreeAge 25-49: $396 per family/partner or individual (KDS subsidy applies) Age 50+: $2052 per family/partner, $1152 for an individual, $864 Friend of TBI (KDS subsidy applies) Pensioner: $396 per family/partner, $198 for an individual, $198 Friend of TBI Country & Dual Affiliation: $288 per family/partner, $162 for an individual Generational Membership: $3,096 All membership categories will be billed a Security Levy.
- $120 for individuals
- $180 for families
- $250 for multi-generationals
- Affiliate family pensioner is $150
TBI membership benefits
Temple Beth Israel is a community which accompanies you and your family throughout the annual Jewish calendar life-cycle. We are a warm, welcoming community, dedicated to lifelong learning, fostering families, building friendships and social justice.
By being a member of a congregation, you contribute to the backbone of Judaism throughout the world.
You help maintain Jewish community life and traditions. It’s through synagogues that the traditions are kept alive.
You help maintain Jewish learning from Bubs and Bagels, through to adult education.
You help support the good works done by this congregation such as our soup kitchen Nourish, and our social action group DIGNITY.
- Enhance your Jewish life
- Get involved in a Progressive Jewish pluralistic, inclusive and egalitarian community
- Share holidays, special occasions and life-cycle events with family & community
- Provide yourself and your children with a strong Jewish identity
- Grow spiritually and intellectually
- Make lifelong friends
- Gain support and comfort in times of difficulty or loss
- Have the opportunity to help others
- Develop community connections that form over time and offer support to you and your family
TBI services and programs
- Beit Sefer Chayim – our TBI supplementary school program: Beit Sefer Chayim provides your children with a Jewish peer group
- Children can celebrate their Bar/Bat Mitzvah in a meaningful way
- Children may serve as madrichim, giving them post-Religious School education and an ongoing Jewish peer group
- Access to NETZER, a Jewish youth movement across Australia, and affiliations around the world
- Adult B’nei Mitzvah
- The opportunity to get involved in TBI governance
- Hospital and home visits from your rabbi or cantor
- Rabbi and Cantor available to officiate, lead, or participate in your life-cycle events, including naming’s, Brit Milah, B’nei Mitzvah, weddings, renewal of vows, funerals
- Community to join you in saying Kaddish for loved ones who have passed
- High Holyday Services (including Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Pesach/Passover)
- Shabbat Services
- Torah learning and study
- Lunch and Learn events
- Entry to a range of diverse programs including educational, religious, cultural, social action and social justice (Tikkun Olam) and recreational programs.
- Invitations to celebrations and memorials
- Use of the TBI Library
- Access to rabbinic counselling and support
- Weekly updates from newsletter and e-news
- Commemoration of Yahrzeits
- Bereavement support
- Opportunities for volunteering
- Inter-religious events with other religious organizations
- Women’s Rosh Chodesh Group
- Monthly Men’s Group
- Young adults Group – NextDor
- Bubs and Bagels group
- Tot Shabbat group
- Family Services
- TRIBE / Introduction to Judaism classes
- Living Judaism experiential learning
- Hebrew classes
Membership Categories[email protected]) to register with TBI for free membership!Affiliate Family/Partner Two or more adults who are in a relationship OR One parent and one or more children Only one of the partners is Jewish (All non-Jewish partners will continue to enjoy the same pleasures of membership as others, simply a vote at an AGM is not allowed.) Country and Dual Family/Partner Country and Dual Individual For Jewish members who reside outside of Melbourne Metro Region (not including Mornington Peninsula) Family/Partner Two or more adults who are in a relationship OR One parent and one or more children. Friend of TBI For our friends who are not Jewish and have chosen to join us regularly and contribute to the congregation, like any other member. Individual One person who wishes to be a member. Generational Membership This multi-generational membership category will cover any individual or family/partnership for both the generation who is paying the fee plus any immediate family member below the age of 50 years and above the age of 85 years. (Parents, children, grandchildren, etc.) Newly Married by TBI Newlyweds married by our Rabbi or Cantor aged 50 and under are entitled to two years’ free membership. TRIBE All Jewish partners in TRIBE will be required to join TBI as members. When the TRIBE course is complete, TBI will offer one year’s free membership to an individual or a couple. B’nei Mitzvah at TBI With the reduction in membership fees for those under 50 years of age, we will be requesting two years’ membership to be paid in advance of the B’nei Mitzvah if the parents are less than 50 years old. King David School If you are a parent at the King David School, you’re entitled to fully subsidised membership. Contact our office to take advantage of this incredible opportunity. This offer is open to all KDS parents, irrespective of KDS fee paying status. 16 – 25 years Membership If you’re aged 16–25, contact our office (